Wednesday 25 May 2016

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles....

It took about 2 1/2 weeks to organize my travel plans...21 flights, 6 trains, and 3 buses.


Most MLB games start around 7pm, which provides plenty of time for a morning or early afternoon flight or train between cities.  If I wanted to I could sleep in to about 8 or 9 am, catch an early afternoon flight, head straight to the park, watch the game, and head to the hotel.

I don't want to do that.  For most of these parks and cities, I will not be coming back so I wanted to allow time to tour the city and the park before the game.

Also places like Boston, St Louis and Baltimore have some cool amenities around the ball park that I want to check out.

So in a nut shell, my goal is to arrive early enough to allow about 4-6 hours in each city before heading to the park. This will mean a lot of 0600-0700 flights but, what the heck, it will be worth it.

I have tried to allow as much time in DC as possible to be able to have a good look around, so I will fly in early from Boston and leave later the next day to Baltimore.

I have no interest in Oakland so I will fly into San Francisco early, spend some time in town, take the BART to Oakland, then fly to Seattle after the game.

The main challenge with travel has come with the day games.  Since these start around 1pm I will need to catch the first flight of the day, and head directly to the park.  My longest day, by far, will be July 20th.  I will need to catch a 0500 flight from Cincinnati to Phoenix to get there in time for the 1240 start, I will then be on the red-eye to Boston that same evening.

So not much sleep from July 8th to August 9th but on the bright side, I should accumulate enough flight and hotel points to pay for my trip to the World Series, at Wrigley Field, in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment