Saturday 21 May 2016

All roads lead to Wrigley

My mother recently passed away and left behind a small sum of money.  I have elected to spend these funds on the experience of a lifetime, I am going to visit all 30 MLB parks this summer in a single trip.

This trip has always been a "bucket list" item for me and I know that this is something that my mom would be proud of.  So mom, this trip's for you.

I live in Edmonton and the the closest MLB park is in Seattle, a 2 hr flight (18 hr drive) away.  

To visit all 30 MLB parks over the course of a single baseball season would involve several back and forth trips between Edmonton and various cities in the U.S.  That would get really expensive, really fast.

The other option, which is what I have elected to do, is to visit all parks in a single trip.  I'm not out to set any records.  The record is held by Chuck Booth, in 2012 he visited all 30 MLB parks in 23days.  My goal was to do the trip in 30 consecutive days...30 in 30 had a nice ring to it.

However, after two weeks of analyzing various schedules I realized something,  I could end this trip at Wrigley Field on August 9th, my 40th birthday.   As a result, the earlier part of my trip would take place during the All Star break.  Which means it would be impossible to do this trip in 30 days.  But as a die hard Cubs fan, there is no better place to end a trip like this, so that is what I will do.  Plus I will get to see both the Home Run derby and the All Star game in San Diego.  Win win.

The result?  All 30 MLB parks in 33 days.

This is not a road trip, while there will be some driving I do plan on taking advantage of some quicker forms of transportation such as planes and trains.

The next few posts prior to my trip will explain how I organized this:





No comments:

Post a Comment